英文中有一个词组stay put,你知道它是什么意思吗?一起来看看《老友记》的这个片段吧。

对话原文

?

Hey Bob.

嗨,鲍勃?

Hey! How’s my pal Toby doing today?

嘿,我的朋友托比,今天怎么样?

If I see him, I’ll ask.

我看到他时会问的?

Toby!

托比!?

Hey-hey! Bing? Was that Bob from six you were just talking too?

嘿,宾,你刚才是在和六楼的鲍勃说话吗?

Yeah!

是的!?

Oh then you know each other.

所以你们认识?

We’re on a semi-first name basis.

我们知道彼此的名字而已?

What do you think of adding him to our team?

你觉得把他加进我们组怎么样?

Bob? Ooh, working here with us? Everyday? Yeah, I don’t know if he has what it takes.

鲍勃?和我们一起工作?每天?我不知道他能否胜任?

Really? They love him down on six.

是吗?六楼的人很喜欢他?

But this is eleven. It’s almost twice as hard up here.

但这是11楼,这的工作要难上两倍?

Okay, I hear you loud and clear.

好吧,我明白你的意思了。?

Bob will stay put.

鲍勃暂时不调动他?

I think it’s best sir.

我认为这最好?

But we really do need to find someone uphere. The work is starting to pile up. I’ve got a stack of documents on my desk this high.

但我们的确需要再找人了,工作已经堆积了很多,我桌子上的文件都有这么高了?

Y’know what you should do, just toss ‘em in the shedder and claim you never got ‘em.

你知道应该怎么做,直接把它们扔到碎纸机里然后说没有见过?

That’s a good one.

这个笑话不错?

What does a guy have to do to be taken seriously around here?!

我该怎么做他们才会觉得我是认真的

?

?

今日重点:

?

朋友,伙伴:pal。笔友:pen pal

一半的:semi。semi-final,半决赛

……的两倍:twice

一清二楚:loud and clear

原地不动:stay put。put除了表示“放下”,也可作形容词表示“固定不动的”

堆积:pile up

一堆,一摞:a stack of

抛,投:toss。除了作动词,也可表示“抛硬币”

认真对待:take it seriously

?

想看完整视频,请关注【沪江幸运快三】公众号